Sunday, September 26, 2010

Week Two in Sandpoint

Bridge/Hwy coming into Sandpoint
So we have now been in Sandpoint for two weeks, this week really flew by!

Work for me (Kara) has been really good. I don't feel completely comfortable with everything yet, but it's coming along well. The people I work with are great, and very helpful with newbies! Everyone seems to really love their jobs, and a few spend time there on days off sometimes just to hang out. I think that's a good sign a decent place to work. One crazy thing is that every day, someone brings in something for everyone to eat. Doughnuts (on four different days already), veggies, fruit, chips & dip, chili, candy, chocolate cake, popcorn, coffee, etc. (That's only for the first 2 weeks!). I am really going to need to watch how many 'snacks' I'm munching on between patients! :) It's been interesting to me to get to know the patients I work with since the work is completely different than in ND. Most of the older people I got to work with in ND and MN grew up farming or ranching, and here most people grew up being loggers. I even had one patient here whose grandma came here from Europe and was forced to work at a tuna cannery in California when she was 8. Crazy! So now it's  Andy's turn....


Round Lake/Anniversary
Hello fellow blog followers! So the interview I had  last week went well. I am on the substitute teaching list at a charter school for middle and high school students. I  haven't gotten called yet, but was told that I could be as busy as 3-5 days/week. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I have had a few chances to network with business professionals around the area through chamber events and local business groups. I have a busy week ahead following up on employment leads such as:  short term marketing positions at 2 local coffee roasteries, and a possible sales position at a software company. Those are the job leads that would be based out of Sandpoint so far. In addition to that, I am also working on sales opportunities with a couple logistics companies as well as an audio and web meeting solutions co. You know the old saying, "if you throw enough stuff on the wall, something's gotta stick"! If anyone has any other ideas I am all ears. :) When I'm not job hunting I spend my time biking up mountains, and finding new trails to run. Back to Kare...


Round Lake State Park
Sour Patch Kid? :)


Round Lake

This past week we went hiking at Round Lake on our anniversary, which was really fun. They have pretty leveled trails in the mountains/trees surrounding a smaller lake. Yesterday we went hiking up Schweitzer, the mountain we are living on, called Mickinnick Trail. It was a pretty steep trail at times, but had amazing views! I was reminded just how out of shape I am, as today I am walking around like I need both hips replaced. :) We have started going to a church in town that we really like. Here's a link to their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sandpoint-ID/Grace-Sandpoint/232884868320?ref=ts . We have met a few people there and are hoping to meet more as we go. We are really missing friends and family this week, since we don't have the ability to be in contact as often and aren't able just to go hang out with people we know. We are hoping to have more opportunities to hang out with new friends after work and on weekends as soon as we can. 




Trees turning on Mickinnick Trail


 We hope that you are all finding time to enjoy the beginning of fall---heard it was gorgeous in ND today! Thanks for the care packages and cards this week, we really appreciate it. I am working on getting some return mail out soon! :) If anyone gets an itch to send a letter, our address is PO Box 2484, Sandpoint ID 83864. Have a great week!!


View of Sandpoint from the top of the trail

1 comment:

  1. Andy & Kara,

    Wow, thanks for setting up and sharing on your blog. The pictures are beautiful. I am tickled that you took the risk and jumped out of your comfort zone. God is paving the way - good planting and/or good harvest.

    We miss you! When you get back this way, if you have time, we'd love to have you over for a meal and sharing.

    Luv ya! deb&craig&cody

    ReplyDelete