Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Week One So Far.....

Since Sandpoint is beautiful and the days are getting shorter and shorter, we've been trying to take advantage of as much outside time as possible. On Monday, we took a walk around town and checked out some local businesses. Yesterday, we went for a shorter bike ride looking for fun trails. Andy took some of them and went on a long bike ride this morning. 

Taken from one of the trails last night.
After I got off work tonight, a couple of my co-workers were nice enough to borrow us kayaks and we hit the lake. I guess it's the biggest lake in Idaho and one of the deepest in the world (top ten or something like that). Sandpoint is a city built around part of this lake, which is surrounded by mountains.....gorgeous scenery!!!  It's been a lot of fun!! It's supposed to rain the rest of the week, so then we will probably do some more unpacking/organizing! Our landlord called last night to tell us that we need to park in the garage because some black bears have been breaking into cars in our neighborhood looking for food. I guess they're ripping off car doors for a candy bar. Luckily they're black bears, which I am told don't really like to snack on people parts. I guess the berry season was really short this year, so they haven't had as much food as usual.

Work has been going well so far. I feel a little slow on the documentation system they have, but I really like it. They have a super productive team and work side by side together. Each morning we have a meeting that is 30-60 minutes long addressing different things. Some are to talk about patients on Medicare and how well they are doing w/ therapy, updating their goals, etc., some are just to update us all on what's going on, and today they even had a time where you just let out anything you had to say about/for anyone, from problems to invitations to gatherings. I actually document what I did for each minute of my day, so my productivity balances out. I haven't had to do this at a job yet, but I like being able to keep track of it personally. I think I will learn a lot on this travel assignment!! They are also offering me free continuing education so that will be fantastic! 

Andy  has a job interview tomorrow, and has made a lot of calls/filled out a lot of applications this week. We are looking for something he can do for this entire travel period rather than just 13 weeks at a time. Surprisingly, he has had a lot of leads, so that's exciting. I just hope he is able to enjoy this next little bit being off of work, since I've had a lot more time off in the past few years than he has. :) 

I am still trying to get used to this time zone, and am not a huge fan of it. It's about a 20-30 minute drive from town up to our place, so by the time we get done in town and get back up here, it's already 8 pm or so, which means 10:00 central time. So if anyone wants to get a hold of us, please call in case we don't! :) I better get to bed, but here are a couple pics from kayaking tonight. They aren't the best since they're from my phone, but we haven't put the others on the computer yet.....sorry!



2 comments:

  1. Andy and Kara,
    I will be keeping up with your blogs but probably not replying too much. You are going to have a great adventure. Now's the time to do it, no kids or pets. It would be great if you could take the long way home and visit us too.
    Love,
    Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might have to come visit you on my teacher's convention break!!

    ReplyDelete